University of Saskatchewan
51 Campus Drive, Saskatoon SK S7N 5A8
Privacy

Discussion Forum for Soils of Canada

It is currently 30 Apr 2017 02:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Classification of Organic Soils with Limnic deposits
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011 07:24 
I presented proposed changes to the Organic Order, either at the Great Group or Subgroup level, at the 2008 CSSS conference in Prince George. The changes were related to properly capturing the presence of limnic deposits. The following paragraph is taken from the upcoming CJSS special edition on soil orders:

"Numerous Organic soil profiles in which the middle tier is dominated, if not entirely composed of a limnic deposit have been described by pedologists in the field. These soils are poorly represented by the current taxonomy used in the Canadian System of Soil Classification (CSSC). Furthermore, profiles with middle tiers entirely composed of limnic materials have also been described; however classification of these profiles is unsatisfactory as the great group must default to the organic material that overlies the limnic deposit (fibric, mesic or humic), or to a terric subgroup if such a layer is encountered in the bottom tier. This lack of taxonomic protocols for limnic materials may have implications for agricultural production and present a strong case for modifications to the Organic order. "(Kroetsch et al. 2011, in press)

I would like to ask for input from others interested in this topic, and from other pedologists who have run into issues with classifying soils with limnic deposits. Profile descriptions, photos and locations would be great as well. These soils are widespread in the St Lawrence Valley south of Montreal, and I have recently classified organic profiles with Oco horizons in southwestern Ontario as well.

I plan to write on this topic starting this fall. Any interested pedologist who would like to co-author are welcome to contact me.